5 Things You Didn't Know About Rep. Paul Ryan
After it was announced that Rep. Paul Ryan would be running as Mitt Romney's vice presidential nominee, Ryan's background and pre-political life became fodder for headlines. Below are some fast facts about Ryan that you may not have known.
Which of the following is most surprising?
- Ryan's father died when he was only 16 years old.
- He was voted "biggest gym rat" by an anonymous poll of Congressional staffers in 2010.
- Mrs. Ryan is a tax lawyer and graduated from Wellesley College and George Washington University law school.
- At one point, Paul Ryan considered becoming a pro skiier. When asked in an interview if he ever regretted the decision, he candidly answered, "Sometimes."
- Rep. Ryan made some bucks during college as an Oscar Mayer salesman in Minnesota, peddling turkey bacon and the then-new "Lunchables" line to supermarkets. Believe it or not, he also drove the "Weiner Mobile" one time.