Peter Johnson Jr.: 'Common Sense' Should Have Told Susan Rice That the Initial Benghazi Talking Points Were False
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice has come forward this week to defend her actions in the days following the September 11 Benghazi attack. Rice received much criticism for saying that the attack was the result of a spontaneous demonstration prompted by an anti-Islam video.
“When discussing the attacks against our facilities in Benghazi, I relied solely and squarely on the information provided to me by the intelligence community. I made clear that the information was preliminary and that our investigation would give us the definitive answers,” Rice said.
The White House has come under heavy criticism for allowing Rice to blame the video, with Republicans accusing the administration of deliberately trying to hide terrorists' involvement in the attack before the election. Former CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus has testified that the agency's initial assessment pointed to terror groups being involved, but those references were removed at some point before Rice took to the airwaves. Last week, CBS reported that Director of National Intelligence James Clapper made the call on changing the talking points.
On Fox and Friends this morning, legal analyst Peter Johnson Jr. said he doesn't believe the version of events being put forth by the administration. He pointed out that "common sense" should have made it obvious to Rice, who may be nominated to become Secretary of State, that the attacks that killed four Americans were not spontaneous.
Watch his full analysis