Police Conclude Chicago Lottery Winner Urooj Khan Was Killed by Cyanide Poisoning
In July, 46-year-old Chicago resident Urooj Khan bought a winning scratch-off ticket worth $1 million. One day after he claimed his prize (a $425,000 lump-sum payment after taxes) he became seriously ill and died.
Officials did not believe the death was suspicious, so they did not perform an autopsy and ruled that Khan died of natural causes.
The case was reopened after a relative requested that Cook County officials take another look at the case. An autopsy has now revealed that what killed Khan, the owner of a chain of dry cleaners, was a lethal
dose of cyanide. Authorities are now investigating his death as a possible homicide.
The check was cashed a few weeks after Khan's death. Officials say in a situation like this, the money would go to the person's estate.
Watch the full report from Fox and Friends: